On the corner of Deansgate and Moor Lane, The White Lion which gave its name to the first bit of Spa Road, opposite - White Lion Brow.
We see the firestation, then moving to the right along Deansgate the GPO and the Hippodrome. In the centre we see the warehouses which were originally built for the Bolton Chequerbent railway which supplied coal to the Iron works and Bessemer furnace on what became the Bus Station. There are no buildings associated with the bus station except the Market Offices. We see, bottom right the Ashburner Street Market with its old wooden outside stalls. Bottom right is the gas works.
Posted on Facebook by Andrew Hodson
17-23 Moor Lane, cottaged date from c1650 The upper wall of one wattle&daub' It was used by Harry Mason ?1930s. Numbers 19-21 had been occupied by the Chadbond family with 19 children.
Moor Lane looking towards the Gypsy's Tent with the Albion and Hanover Street on the left.
Posted on Facebook by Denis McCann
Rothwell loco works, Moor Lane.In 1849 Rothwell and Co supplied the dredging machinery for the first steam-powered bucket dredger on the sharpness canal.
A view across what became the bus-station but what was for many years the main town centre car park. The bus station is one line of buses. The Ribble offices were a small hut alongside Moor Land. The Odeon is still a cinema. Notice the parked cars,Standard Vanguards, Austin ?Cambridge.
Looking in the opposite direction towards St Paul’s church.
It appears that St Paul’s has been cleaned. One of the various versions of the bus station.
Fairground pushed to one side to make room for coach excursions, Bolton Holiday fortnight.
Moor Lane, still a car park. Ambulance station on Cheadle Square.
The Moor Lane Car Park (where the Bus Station was until 2017), became the departure point for day trips at first as this one in the September holiday week, though later they seemed to run mostly in the second week of the June holidays.
Elim Chapel Moor Lane corner of Gas Street being demolished.
Ashburner Street, gas works, market, market offices, trolley bus almost at the terminus, just past the children’s library and turn right into Howell Croft South, mobile food stall.
Market Ofices, Ashburner Street. In front of the central door is a weigh bridge. In days gone by delivery trucks were licensed according to their own individual weights and trucks were weighed here before the owner went to pay his money at the Town Hall. A story was doing the rounds in the 50s of an individual swanking to his mates, “I let all the tyres down before I got it weighed! There’s forty pounds in each tyre, tha knows!” (For the untechnical – the pressure in each tyre was 40 pounds per square inch but that is not the same as the actual weight of air in the tyres which is immeasurably small.) The use of the weighbridge was discontinued many years ago. The Offices, which were built in 1932 matching the market opposite, housed Age Concern in later years, but were demolished around 2017 as the bus station was moved to Great Moor Street. Demolition – another piece of civic vandalism – hardly seemed necessary, they were essentially one with the market, but someone wanted to re-route the vehicle entry to the market car park.
Ashburner Street, pre March 1956 because of trolleybus
New Years Eve 1955
This picture apparently was not published because of the fair or the New Year festivities but to illustrate a complaint about the very busy traffic on this junction, from Blackhorse Street onto Ashburner Street.
If they could only see our roads now!
Maundy Thursday, gas works still there, very busy. The photographer seems to be standing at the top of the steps going up to the main entrance of the Odeon cinema. The black structure on the right is the black tiled wall separating the steps from the pavement. It looks as if the top of the wall was intended to have plants in it. I vaguely think I may have seen plants there sometime. OK, hands up, which child used to leave her mother to walk along the pavement while she ran up these steps and down the ones at the other side?
Building the cafe at the Moor Lane end of the bus station.
This building is probably to replace the black shed at left.
Work begins on a £1.5million project to update Moor Lane Bus Station to be done in phases to minimise inconvenience over a period of 18 months. Used as a bus station since about 1930, the canopies being demolished had stood since 1969.
Bus Station, again the Ambulance Station at Cheadle Square. 1951??
New Year fair
The corner of the market, almost unchanged today except for the fruit and veg lettering. This part of the market was originally the fruit and vegetable wholesale area. In recent times wholesalers have been sent to find premises elsewhere and this has become modern stalls with a central area for food, displays and occasional entertainment.
A new ambulance posing for its picture just round the corner from the ambulance station
1923 Spring Gardens from its corner with Ashburner Street. The picture on the left caused some arguments about its location but it is clearly the same street as the picture on the right on which the street name can just about be worked out as Spring Gardens. Once this is located on the map of 1891 the location becomes clear. This street went from Ashburner Street to Deansgate and looking at the same place now you would see the unused side door of the Library, which used to be the Children’s Entrance.
In the foreground Ashburner Street runs across the picture. Opposite us into the picture is Spring Gardens and immediately across the road from us would have been the Robin Hood Hotel on the corner of Spring Gardens then a little to the right the Founders Arms Inn on the corner of Howell Croft which runs left and into the picture behind the workmen’s vans. The Victoria Restaurant in the corner of Victoria Square is under and slightly to the right of the TH clock.
c1932 when TH ws extended and the Crescent built.
November 1992. Behind the market is the tower of the new firestation
1932 posted on Facebook by Patricia Jones
The interior of the wholesale section of the newly built Ashburner Street market. Cannot recognise the buildings outside through the door. It seems to be buildings on Ashburner Street before it was extended through to Moor Lane and before the Market Offices were built.
Make-shift stalls across the road from the market proper, was this just plants? Look through to the Lever Chambers and the Magee’s bonded warehouse where we turn right to get to Howell Croft South and the Leigh trolley buses.
Its First Night was 21 August 1937 with the first Battalion of the Royal Scots band. Although primarily a cinema it had live acts from time to time including Gerry and the Pacemakers, The Searchers, Dusty Springfield and Freddy and the Dreamers.
We see Lever Chambers and between that and the cinema is a remaining tiny bit of Back Spring Gardens.
Taken from Bolton Lancashire Bygone Days.
Note to the left that there are still houses on Back Spring Gardens.
The Odeon had been a Bingo Hall from January 1983. Now we see it in a rather sad state, scheduled for demolition shortly after this picture.
Returning to Moor Lane we see the new fire-station with the old block on the right not yet replaced. On the market we have the stalls of the “outside market” or “open air market”. These seem to be steel structures which replaced the old wooden stalls.
View from air of Moor Lane with Dog and Partridge, gas works, Winter Hill. Many people will remember the ziz-zag roof of part of Flash Mill which contained Division One, Stone-Dri and Benson’s for Beds at various times.
The outside market. on Moor Lane.
Moor Lane with Stone-Dri.
1925 picture to right >>
This whole area from New Street (along the back of the market) down almost to Deansgate and from Moor Lane to Black Horse Street was once the site of the Bessemer foundry. In this picture demolition has started and continued to 1927. Moor Lane Bus Station first came into use on part of the site in 1930 and the Ashburner Street Retail and Wholesale Markets together with the Market Offices and Weights and Measures were officially opened in September 1932. This picture is of Moor Lane with New Street off to the right.
Picture by Tom Gerrard
Note the characteristic zigzag roofs on this building.
Picture posted by Gene Watts
Looking towards Moor Lane after lots of demolition – Dog and Partridge is still there as is the building with the zigzag roofs fronting onto Moor Lane.
Flash Mill with its chimney is very conspicuous.
Picture posted on Facebook by JPM Vanion
Moor Lane awaiting demolition, Old Three Tuns, Harp garage. The street on the right is Flash Street.
This is Moor Lane, Flash Street on the left, Harp Garage in the block, looking to the demolition site beyond the corner of Derby Street and Deane Road where the University is now.
On the opposite side of Moor Lane, Lupton Street. Beyond the old-style “no waiting” sign is Partridge Street. Beyond the bus it is possible to see the corner of the Ashburner Street market adjacent to New Street.
The bottom end of Derby Street where it meets Moor Lane (to the right), Deane Road (to the left) and Crook Street (near right). The Derby Street Girls School is immediately behind us. A lot of demolition has just taken place on the corner of Deane Road and Moor Lane opening up the view to the far end of the Gas Works. The main buildings of the Gas Works are prominent above the buildings (Lupton Street?) not yet demolished.
The Britannia Hotel is on the left edge of the picture.
Derby Street Deane Road junction, Britannia Hotel. This was the first headquarters of the Bolton Wanderers Football Club after they left the school rooms at Christ Church about a quarter of a mile up Deane Road, to the left at the junction. As the football team was originally part of the young men’s work at the church, the incumbent insisted on his right to attend their meetings – which led to a disagreement and the eventual break away.
This is earlier than the previous picture as the buildings on the Deane Road / Moor Lane corner still stand. Is it possible that the road works are taking up the tramlines. It would have helped if we could have seen the overhead wires clearly and noted that we had the pair of wires for the trolley buses. They travelled only left to right at this point as they did a circular tour before rejoining the straight part of Derby Street at the Grey Man.
Slightly further on, viewed from the west end of Crook Street, Derby St is to the left, in front the Britannia pub and Britannia garage, off the picture to the right is the junction with Deane Rd and Moor Lane. Note that the trolley buses have been discontinued by the date of this picture.
James McKernan was signed by the Wanderers from Hibernian in 1881 and to get round the amateur/professional ruling they installed him as publican of the Britannia Inn in Derby St; for some considerable time the Britannia was the headquarters of the Wanderers.
Britannia Garage Derby Street. I have a clear memory of a picture of Britannia at this garage in the style of the old pennies, possibly the Hotel sign after the pub was demolished but I think not. Sadly no-one else seems to remember this.
Flether Street Mills jn the distance at left.
The large building to the left of the garage is Gregory and Porritt's warehouse.
Just a little further on from the above picture. This is the bottom part of Derby Street after it had swung left at the Grey Man - looking towards the junction with Deane Road.
Derby Street Girls’ School. This gate appears to be in Crook Street and we are looking across towards Fletcher Street Mill.
After the school closed down it was used for a time as a Student Union building by Bolton Institute of Higher Education (Bolton University by then?) but was demolished when there was a wholesale reorganisation of the Trinity Way, Derby Street, Moor Lane junction.
David Whenlock picture
From Derby Street we look at the Grey Man Hotel and its ornate lamppost and horse trough. To its right, which is straight on from the upper part of Derby Street is Great Moor Street which had once been alled Weston Street at this point. To the left of the tram we see the Vulcan on the corner of Crook Street.
Derby Street bends to the left and we see the Derby Street Girls' School.
We shall now return to Bradshawgate then progress up Great Moor Street to the Grey Man and onwards up Derby Street and St Helens Road.