Another postcard from the collection of David Whenlock. We look from Nelson Square along Bradshawgate towards Prestons. This picture is probably 1930s though it remains exactly as many people will remember it in the 1950s and 60s. Albert Ward takes pride of place on the right hand side.
We will now progress down that part of Bradshawgate but before we do we will look at some water colour pictures from before and after the widening of Bradshawgate around 1910.
Infirmary building Packhorse pre 1904
(later education Offices)
50 Bradshawgate, 1902, Ramsdens Music Shop. To its right, the Volunteer pub which became The Empire, replaced by Saddle c1905.
Ramsden’s and to the left was replaced by the building through which ran The Arcade and replaced again by the Arndale centre. This is presently Primark’s frontage.
After the widening of Bradshawgate.
continuation to the right of the 1904 picture
Fold Street Yates Wine Lodge Ship Inn The Fleece Deansgate
The widened Bradshawgate; notice Whitheads on Deansgate which had been rebuilt in 1909.
After the widening of Bradshawgate.
A sombre Bradshawgate in 1946 showing particularly the well-known shop of George Graveson and Sons, acquired by Fisher Raworth & Co Ltd in 1935. In its heyday Gravesons was an “Aladdin’s Cave” of ironmongery, hardware, electrical goods, etc. stacked on shelves or in pigeon-holes from floor to ceiling. Fishers left the premises for Whitehead’s basement in the 1960s and later moved into their already existing large premises in Spa Road. Next door to Gravesons was the equally well-known Albert Wards Sports Outfitters, followed by Addisons, wine and spirits and Cantors, furnishers, a much smaller shop than its present day counterpart in the Newport Arcade. The 79 year old Wards was taken over by Whitaker’s in 1974 and shortly afterwards the business was transferred to their main store basement. (Bolton News caption of some years ago)
Bradshawgate by the corner of the Pack Horse looking along to Preston’s.
Bradshawgate - a nice picture including the entrance to The Arcade.
From near St Andrews Church through to Bradshawgate was “The Arcade” with Harker and Howarth’s Music, a posh dress shop, upstairs a ball-room dancing studio. It was lost to the Arndale Centre.
In the 1920s as you turned out of Nelson Square onto Bradshawgate and past the Packhorse, the next building would be the Paragon cinema built 1910(?)
Part of the Packhorse built 1904,5 can be seen immediately left.
No-one remembers this cinema, it did not remain long, other cinemas were built and this one may then have been too small to be viable.
Bradshawgate - much more recently the Arndale Centre replaces most of the above frontage. At this time there is an entrance to the Arndale Centre on this frontage so at least during opening hours there is a route through from Exchange Street close to Victoria Square to Bradshawgate - not too different from the old arcade. More recently Primark extended its store right across the front and for security reasons removed its own access to/from Bradshawgate. There has been quite a lot of protest from the point of view of the loss of that route and from the point of view that Primark was able to get its own way by threatening to leave town if this development was not allowed.
Posted on Facebook by Owen Lythgoe.
Perhaps the best remembered and best loved shop in the Arcade, Harker and Howarth's music shop.
On the right we have Jack Howarth and Tom Harker c1966?
We will continue along this (west) side of Bradshawgate.
From Bolton News "Looking Back".
Prudential Packhorse Ramsden's Volunteer Preston's Fold Street H Samuel's
Fold Street / Bradshawgate - Bromley’s Fine Art Depository
Bromiley's quaint building is what was replaced by the Refuge building on the previous picture. There is not much to recommend the rest of the block but what a shame we lost this building. In fact it was a victim of the widening of Bradshawgate c1910.
The whole picture is interesting. Notice far left the pointed turret of the Prudential Building on the corner of Nelson Square. Then we see the almost derelict single storey Packhorse. Moving further right we see what was at some time Ramsden's music shop and the Volunteer (Saddle) Inn. The picture is taken in the morning with the early sun shining up Wood Street on to Preston's Jewellers with the clock at one end and the lantern at the other before its move to 2 Deansgate in 1905. The clock is not telling the correct time.Then we have Bromiley's, Fold Street and on the right of the picture the H belongs to H Samuels.
Prestons from the above picture.
This was posted on Facebook by Peter Lodge.
A quick look up Fold Street with Bowkers Row and Chancery Lane on the left and Acresfield across the end.
We see Sherries, Anglo-Continental Travels with Howcrofts then Chez Aristotle.
The building facing us is labeled "Royal Close" (Globe? Glory?)
On the right as we enter Fold Street was Wood and Co tea and coffee merchants. The aroma as you entered the shop was to die for.
A longer view up Fold Street. The awning is probably at Sherries.
Looking back towards Bradshawgate.
This picture seems to be immediately before demolition when the Arndale Centre was built.
c1962 Picture from Bolton Museums Archive. A view back out onto Bradshawgate. Wood Street is just off the picture to the left.