Down Bridgeman Place we pass a shop on the corner of Carlton Street very familiar to many people.
Bridgeman Place 1953, Lancashire and Cheshire Miners Federation building built 1913, later Bolton and Bury Chamber of Commerce, 2011 Lord's College.
Bridgeman Street Baths. The official name of this thoroughfare is Lower Bridgeman Street because Bridgeman Street which was once the longest street in Bolton (there may have been longer lanes and roads) was interrupted by the building of the Trinity Street Station.
Looking from Haulgh Bridge to the hamlet of Springfields with the Springfields Paper Mill to the left.The houses on the top of the banking are on Westbrook Street and the bottom of Grosvenor Street which ran down the far side of the Technical College.
St Peter's Way and the Trinity retail park now cover this area.
Samuel Chadwick's Orphanage on Bromwich Street.
That's far enough in this direction. We will return to the Trinity Street junction and have a wander along Manchester Road before continuing our circular tour by visiting Bradshawgate.
If you wish to see more of the Croal Valley and the Springfields Paper Mills please visit www.croal.webeden.co.uk which will later become www.bolton.webeden.co.uk/croal
On the corner of Manchester Road and Bridgeman Place - many people will remember Leon’s coffee house, James Howard and Sons, Winterbottom’s and also Wood’s pianos.
The same corner September 2009
The sad demise of this row of buildings, 1980. Picture posted on Facebook by Gene Watts.
This corner appeared in the Bolton News when the enterprising mill owner who wanted to sell building put up a huge For Sale sign that you could hardly fail to notice. The news item dealt with the fact that the Council had asked him to remove it because he did not have planning permission.
Above: that corner and Manchester Road c1940
Right: Many people will remember this view of Manchester Road from the Trinity Street junction. The LMS warehouse and various other buildings associated with the railway yard dominated the right hand side of the road. How many people remember the horse trough which would have been just behind the lorry approaching us? Bolton Technical College and Grosvenor Street are on the left.
The Tech - postcard copyright Frith's.
from facebook, owner not recorded.
Corner of Grosvenor Street (on the left) and Manchester Road. Bolton Commercial Institute otherwise Lord's Commercial.
The LMS warehouse at Bolton Trinity Street station.
Photo by Owen Lythgoe.
Warehouse in use by National Carriers Ltd.
Haulgh Hall on the corner of Bradfors Street and Bromwich Street, thought to be the oldest inhabited building in Bolton.
The warehouse was built in 1885 and in the early days was packed with cotton bales from America and Egypt. LMS was the biggest of the four main railway companies in the UK, the largest commercial enterprise in the Commonwealth, the largest transport organisation in the world and the second largest employer in the UK, after the Post Office.
The warehouse had been empty since 1952 until its demolition and the date of this picture, 2 May 1973.
A very well known picture of a train apparently stopped on the embankment so that the driver can see the match.
DURING Queen Victoria's Jubilee year in 1888, the Mayor of Bolton was Thomas Moscrop, founder of one of the town's oldest family firms. Originally selling lubricant animal fats, they moved into the motor oil business and flourished up to the early 1970s. Drivers approaching Bolton along Manchester Road were greeted by this advert for the firm's business as they passed close to the Wanderers football ground at Burnden Park. It promoted their Lion brand of oil long before Esso ever launched its tiger.
The bridge, pictured here in the 1930s, with tramlines along the road, has now been demolished.
This view was supplied to the Bolton Evening News by Mr Jack Crook of Long Lane, Bolton.
TWO familiar landmarks for generations of Bolton football fans bit the dust as a new era dawned at BurndenPark.
For the axe was poised to fall on two railway bridges in Manchester Road, Bolton, under which football fans have tramped for generations. Both the bridges were being demolished in the first phase of an ambitious plan to create an imaginative sports complex at the Burnden Park home of Bolton Wanderers in August, 1984. Work on demolishing the first of the bridges — just a stone's throw from the ground — began in the first week of August. Workmen hoped to remove it completely over the weekend. The second bridge, which stands only yards away, was to be removed the following weekend. Then the Wanderers intended to level and reclaim the embankment. Part of the site was to be concreted and drained for car parking before new turnstiles and access gates were created.
Today's picture shows work in progress on dismantling the first bridge. (Text from Bolton News)
"This row of cottages outside the Bolton Wanderers ground at Burnden was a familiar sight to thousands of supporters. It had been condemned for years and will disappear any day now." Bolton Evening News report February 1956.
The club had long wanted the cottahes demolished to widen the frontage of the ground and ese the Manchester Road bottleneck. "Embankment spectators will be able to walk straight to the turnstiles when the site is cleared," continued the article.
Looking back along Manchester Road towards Bolton from Burnden Park.
August 1998 Goodbye to Burnden Park.
On the next page we return to Trinity Street and begin our walk along Bradshawgate.